Mechanical Engineer, Senior
|Location:||in Kamuela, Hawaii - posted, All States|
|Salary Range:||Commensurate with skills|
|Benefits:||See Benefits tab above|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||W.M. Keck Observatory seeks a Senior Mechanical Engineer at it's HQ in Kamuela, Hawaii to provide mechanical engineering and project management support, to develop new observatory capabilities and to upgrade existing observatory systems. This position is responsible for design, analysis, specification, and construction of high technology mechanical and opto-mechanical systems for precision telescope operations.
Be part of a challenging, fast-paced, technical environment where ability, leadership, teamwork, communication and interpersonal skills are highly prized.
- Support the development of new observatory capabilities and upgrades.
- Design and analysis of mechanical and opto-mechanical systems, components and structures using 3D CAD and FEA.
- Provide technical and project management oversight of contractor-performed design, fabrication, installation, troubleshooting, repair and testing.
- Plan and oversee the interfacing of new mechanical equipment and instrumentation as needed at the summit.
- Follow and maintain observatory standards for mechanical and opto-mechanical systems.
- Prepare and review written documentation and drawings for new systems and modifications to existing systems.
W. M. Keck Observatory is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The observatory operates the two biggest and most scientifically productive telescopes on Earth. Located on the summit of Mauna Kea, Island of Hawaii, the twin, 10-meter telescopes feature a suite of world-leading instruments including imagers, multi-object spectrographs, high-resolution spectrographs, integral-field spectroscopy and a revolutionary laser guide star adaptive optics system. The Observatory is a private 501(c) 3 non-profit organization and a scientific partnership of the California Institute of Technology, the University of California and NASA.
- B. S. Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- >8 years of Mechanical Engineering experience, some experience with opto-mechanical devices, 3 years of which are in project/subcontract management and reporting.
- Track record of precision designs of small and large scale mechanical components.
- Competence with 3D computer aided design, finite element analysis, design for assembly and maintainability, product life cycle management, and reliability engineering.
- Engineering process and configuration management experience.
- Experienced use of modern manufacturing techniques.
Please apply to join a skilled and deeply committed team of technical professionals that enable exciting and important astronomical discoveries.
|Click Here to Download Complete Job Description|
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.