Optical Mechanical Engineer
|Location:||in Kamuela, Hawaii - posted, All States|
|Salary Range:||Commensurate with skills|
|Benefits:||See Benefits tab above|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||W.M. Keck Observatory seeks an Optical Mechanical Engineer to join the team that designs, prototypes, builds, installs, maintains and improves the operation and reliable performance of the Observatory's Adaptive Optics (AO) Systems.|
- Develop design solutions to optimize performance and reliability in AO system capabilities and equipment by utilizing analysis, tolerancing and error budgets;
- Plan, build and implement the ensuing designed solutions for efficient long-term operations;
- Develop mid-term and long range design and maintenance solutions to performance problems and reliability issues in existing systems and equipment;
- Adjust parameters and make minor modifications as needed to optimize nightly on-sky performance;
- Respond to urgent critical issues with diagnosis, logical troubleshooting and problem resolution; and
- Provide timely, accurate, updated documentation and configuration control from drawings and direct observation, adhering to WMKO configuration management standards.
W. M. Keck Observatory is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The observatory operates the two biggest and most scientifically productive telescopes on Earth. Located on the summit of Mauna Kea, Island of Hawaii, the twin, 10-meter telescopes feature a suite of world-leading instruments including imagers, multi-object spectrographs, high-resolution spectrographs, integral-field spectroscopy and a revolutionary laser guide star AO system. The Observatory is a private 501(c) 3 non-profit organization and a scientific partnership of the California Institute of Technology, the University of California and NASA.
- B. S. in Optics or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent;
- Two to five years' industrial or equivalant experience with optical mechanical devices;
- Track record of precision optical system designs;
- Competence with Zemax, SolidWorks or equivalent; and
- Engineering process and documentation experience.
Please apply to join a skilled and deeply committed team of technical professionals that enable exciting and important astronomical discoveries.
|Click Here to Download Complete Job Description|
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.